Michael has extensive experience in high-stakes commercial litigation in federal and state courts and before arbitral tribunals, including courtroom experience in both trial and appellate settings. His litigation background encompasses a wide range of practice areas, including securities, insurance coverage, antitrust, intellectual property, contract disputes, and regulatory and internal investigations. He has also advised transactional clients on regulatory and litigation issues.
Michael received his JD, magna cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 2013, where he was Executive Editor of the Journal of Business Law, a member of Penn Law’s National Trial Competition team, and an extern at the Office of Congressional Ethics in Washington, DC. After graduating from law school, he served as a federal law clerk in the District of New Jersey. Before joining Kibler Fowler & Cave, Michael was a litigator at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP in New York.
Michael’s representative matters include:
- Obtaining Kentucky Supreme Court victory for investment advisor clients resulting in dismissal of purported derivative suit brought on behalf of state pension system for lack of constitutional standing
- Counsel for JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. and its affiliates in numerous class and individual actions alleging securities, antitrust, and common law claims related to the setting of the London Inter-Bank Offered Rate (LIBOR) and other benchmark rates
- Counsel for Spotify USA Inc. in actions by prominent songwriters and other rights holders asserting claims under the U.S. Copyright Act
- Counsel for Best Buy in obtaining summary judgment victory in securities litigation
- Counsel for Brighthouse Life Insurance Company in nationwide class actions
- Counsel for publicly traded company in FTC investigation and resolution related to sales practices, consumer credit and privacy issues
- Representation of financial institutions, corporations and individuals in investigations and examinations by the SEC, DOJ and other federal agencies
- Representation of multiple pro bono clients, including successful advocacy on behalf of individual clients in housing, pension and immigration matters, and representation of a civil rights organization in federal appellate proceedings seeking to establish the right of same-sex couples to marry shortly prior to the recognition of that right by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2015.